By Wes Penre, June 23, 2023
Not too long ago, I urged people to help supporting me by signing up at https://ko-fi.com/wespenre instead of https://patreon.com/wespenre, although both options would be okay and are available. The reason for that change was because I now live in Europe, and if I earn over a certain amount on Patreon, the IRS will double-tax me–I will be taxed both in Serbia and in The U.S. The option to stay on Patreon was and is still fine, although ko-fi is the better alternative of the two. In addition, the donator doesn’t need to pay taxes on ko-fi, which they do on Patreon (so-called VAT). The downside with ko-fi is that they only accept PayPal payments, and many people prefer to use their card or bank account.
I have now been shown how WISE.COM can actually solve all problems, and it’s the best alternative for me, but also for the donator. The transfer fee is just a few cents for the donator, and WISE is very easy for me to handle, while even ko-fi has its downsides because of PayPal, which has its restriction for me, as well as for the donator.
I don’t want to complicate things, but I would greatly appreciate anyone who now donates on Patreon or Ko-Fi to switch to WISE. It’s very simple, it’s safe, and international, with a good reputation. Millions of people use it daily for international money transfers. This is the exact platform I’ve always been looking for!
Again, for those who don’t want to go through the process of changing platforms, please just stay where you are, whether it’s on Patreon or on Ko-Fi.
How to Set Up WISE Automatic Payments
- Go to https://wise.com/ and sign up. Follow the instruction and set up payments with your card or bank account, whichever you prefer. You can either download the WISE app to your phone or sign up on the computer, or both. (I am also attaching some snapshots at the end of this post that can be helpful in the setup procedure, if needed. But it should be quite straight forward).
- You find me on WISE under my email address, firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’m registered on WISE under my real Swedish name, Per Sewen. That’s the account you will send your monthly donations to (it’s also possible to make spontaneous donations).
- Depending on which Tier you are currently signed up for on Patreon or Ko-Fi, just donate either the same amount, an amount corresponding to a different tier, or donate any amount in between the established tiers. You will get the benefits accordingly. FOR NEW DONATORS: Go here to decide which donation amount (Tier) you want to sign up for: https://ko-fi.com/wespenre/tiers .
- In the WISE program you just signed up for, choose a calendar date on which you want your payment to recur every month. WISE will then take out that amount automatically every month on that date, just like on Patreon and Ko-Fi. See snapshots below for more help.
- That is it! You’re set up, I will be notified, and you will get the benefits relating to your tier.
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com, or ask me in the comment section to this post.
Thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience. I want donations to work as smoothly and possible, both for me and for you. WISE is the best alternative–also for me, taxwise.